Everyone wants to get fit for the new year. That's why so many people have resolved to do. But why do so many people end up making the same resolution year after year?
That's why I suggest using January 1 as an opportunity to break up with your gym. You heard that right. The new year is a perfect time to ditch what's likely a dead-end relationship with your gym.
- Traditional gyms are overcrowded in January.
- These gyms are typical unvested in your success.
- In fact, gyms rely on people not showing up, because if ever membership worked out, there wouldn't be enough room.
- Going back to the same old gym means going back to the same old routine — the one that hasn't worked in the past and isn't likely to work in the future.
Instead of locking yourself into a relationship that doesn't work for you, it's time to play the field.
- Try different types of fitness routines, in various venues.
- Do activities you've been curious to try, boot camp, cardio kickboxing, HIT and boxing.
Here are three steps to make a clean break from the gym:
- Don't try to stay friends.
- Let them know, "It's not me, it's you"
- Focus on you.